Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Day 14...Cookies, Anyone?

Yeah, it's Day 14. I have successfully survived a birthday (my own), a neighbor brunch, a freaking school bake sale in which I made my "nothing-short-of-amazing" chocolate chip cookies and worked the bake sale booth without wrestling some brat to the ground and stealing his 3-ticket baked goodie. I consider that a WIN for Week 2.

Actually, I am finally to a point where I am not feeling like I'm going without much. I do miss the iced-tea, but I haven't rubber necked at each McDee's I pass on my commute. But cookies....I am missing the semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies that a long day relieves. In an effort to bake something "healthy" for the bake sale, I also made a gluten, sugar, dairy & grain-free choc chip cookie. They looked like tiny little un-cooked cookie dough balls with a slightly burned bottom. I thought they tasted only a bit better than my chocolate cupcake FAIL of last week - but not much But, hey, I was just hoping that the gluten-free kids had forgotten what a real delicious cookie tastes like anyway. I even put a cute sticker on each individually wrapped cookie to indicate they were "FREE" of sugar, gluten & dairy. No less than 6 kids saw "FREE" and thought they were. Ummmmm....no, kid. You need to buy that with one carnival ticket. And then my little "all-free" cookie was put back on the table. Yeah, I wouldn't waste a ticket on those either. Some cute  little lady, who I'm confident could not speak English, pointed to the "all-free" cookies and said pointed "1". Then, within 10 minutes, she bought a dozen more. God love her......it was either those or a peanut butter bar that looked that it had quite possible already been eaten and regurgetated.

This week's recipe WIN was chicken fried "rice",  which was really cauliflower. Seriously...it was delicious and side by side, you can't tell the difference. Next time, all of us will be partaking of the "rice" and they will never know. See what I mean?? M couldn't even tell the difference. And when I packed up the leftovers, it took me a minute to figure it out. Can you see the difference?

 Another WIN, even more epic than the CFR was my Samoa brownies. Even I, who detest coconut in all forms, can't think of anything wrong with these puppies. Healthy caramel....yes, please! Those in attendance at MEH's Pampered Chef party will be so jealous.....they're gonna really wish these had been cooked in the covered baker! Take that!
 
I'm pretty excited to menu plan for next week. Any suggestions? Preferably free of most everything.





No comments:

Post a Comment